I have finally figured out how to read your reviews

An Ebert reader writes to The Answer Man: I have finally figured out how to read your reviews. A review isn't about what it says; it's about how it goes about saying it: If you are stimulated to eloquence by the movie, then the movie is a must-see. It doesn't matter if you rate it well or poorly; it is the fact that you reacted strongly to the movie, and worked hard at clarity, that tells me what I need to know. If the review looks like it "wrote itself," then you enjoyed the film and I may or may not like it based on personal preference. If the review seems to lack punch, or seems confused, then I know the film was a stinker no matter which way you look at it, and should be avoided for mental health reasons. --Ron Wodaski, Cloudcroft, N.M.

A. By following these rules, one would not always see good movies, but one would usually see interesting ones.

Popular Posts