As if I'm some bunny rabbit that can't stop spitting out these little bunnies: Francine Prose

Francine Prose has a follow-up novel, finally, to Blue Angel, and talks about her career to New York magazine: "Critics sometimes responded by intimating that Prose, her byline gracing not just Harper's but People and O magazines, was stretched too thin. She responds that she would stick to novels and essays if she could. "When my kids were small, I wrote endless pieces about how to make vegetables... I get these reviews that say, 'Oh, she’s so prolific,' as if I’m some bunny rabbit that can't stop spitting out these little bunnies. There's something I'm not getting. They must have trust funds or rich spouses." Prose has another pet peeve with critics. "Anytime anyone says that I'm writing satire, it makes my blood run cold... I like the characters, and I want the best for them. They’re all trying to be good in that way that people in 19th century novels were trying to be good. On the other hand, they live in our culture, in our city. And everybody is just scamming everybody else a mile a minute."

Popular Posts