I'm just going to keep writing until it makes sense

Lucian K. Truscott IV remembers Hunter Stockton Thompson in the Times: One night a year or so after I had left Aspen, I was visiting Hunter and Sandy, staying in the guest room across from a basement office he called his "war room." I came back to the house around 1am and wandered into Hunter's office. He was perched at his I.B.M. Selectric pounding away. I asked him what he was working on. He handed me a stack of pages, kept writing, and I went across the hall to read. When I returned a few minutes later, he asked me what I thought. I told him I thought it was great, and asked what it was. "I don't know," he said. "I'm just going to keep writing until it makes sense." It was the first chapter of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," the result of two failed writing assignments for other magazines. After it was finally published in Rolling Stone, publishers came calling, Hollywood beckoned, and Hunter's search for a home as a writer was over.

Popular Posts