Just the fax, ma'am: Paul Auster

The Believer launches its website with snippets of stuff, like Paul Auster chatting with Jonathan Lethem: In 'The Book of Illusions,' which is set in the late eighties, there’s a fax machine. Something very important happens through a fax machine. So, I’m not, per se, against talking about technology. In the book I’m working on now, there’s a reference to email. Also to cell phones. I’m one of the few people left without a computer, Mr. Brooklyn claims. I don’t write on a word processor, and I don’t have email and I’m not really tempted to get it. I’m very happy with my pen and my old portable typewriter, but I’m not against talking about anything, actually. I think the glory of the novel is that you‘re open to everything and anything that exists or has existed in the world. I don’t have any proscriptions. I don’t say, “This is not allowed because…”

Popular Posts