The Afternoon Report

Three videos by or with Lucretia Martel. Irrfan Khan on setbacks. Ten favorite films from Agnès Godard, Claire Denis' collaborator. Paul Schrader footnotes First Reformed. How to sing like Freddy Mercury. The last of Theo Angelopoulos, lost to Greek wildfire. A bite-sized meditation on Barbara Loden and Wanda.


"Studio films and wide releases have doubled their share of box office. I understand that too because if I want to go to the movies, I'm either going because the experience will be so great - the sound, the seats - or it's something you really want to share with people in a darkened room. "With what often drives smaller indie movies - intimate, great stories - it has to be special enough to make me leave my house, I could watch a great Danish thing on SBS or a brilliant German series on Netflix or an amazing HBO show."
"Screen Australia chief executive Graeme Mason said many filmmakers were better off aiming for a streaming service rather than a cinema release."

Incredibles 2 Seventh Animation To Cross $1 Billion Worldwide 

Minding the Gap's Bing Liu Gets In Some Weekend Skate Video-Making

"One thing he couldn’t recreate was Mercury’s singing voice. Most singing scenes in the movie rely on either vocal stems from Queen master tapes or new recordings by Marc Martel, a Canadian Christian rock singer whose voice is practically identical to the late frontman’s. “Literally, you could close your eyes and it’s Freddie,” says producer Graham King. “And that’s a very tough thing to do.'"


Agnès Godard Picks Ten Favorite Films for Grasshopper Film

"What I think is very strong and unique in Locarno is the possibility to really confront the audience. I’m on the Piazza Grande every night. I have to speak, even if to say just a few words, but I have to explain the film of the night, or the guest, and to be brief but at the same time try to convey some emotion. And this is something unique, because you do it in front of 8,000 people."

2001 On 350 in IMAX

NYT: Condé Nast Putting Brides, Golf Digest and W Up for Sale

An Oral History Of D. C.'s 82-Year-Old Uptown Theater

"There are challenges which life throws at you. But I have started believing in the way this condition has tested me, really, really tested me in all aspects — physical, emotional and spiritual. It has put me in a rapture state. Initially I was shaken. I didn’t know. I was very, very vulnerable. But slowly, there is another way to look at things that is much more powerful and much more productive and much more healthy and I just want people to believe that nature is much more trustworthy and one must trust that. The problem with me initially was everyone was speculating whether I would be out of this disease or not. Because it’s not in my hand. That’s nature that will do whatever it has to do. What is in my hand, I could take care of that. And it offers so much that you feel thankful. The way it is opening your windows to look at life. I would have never reached that state even if I had done meditation for 30 years."~ Irrfan Khan

Andrew WK: "The Life and Soul of the Party"

Olga Khazan on "How to Write a Book Without Losing Your Mind"

A Lucrecia Martel Trio



Lucrecia Martel's got a new music video.

Plus, her Rotterdam Masterclass:
 From July 17, in Spanish, Martel debates abortion legalization on Argentine television's "Somos la mañana." (81 minutes.)



Popular Posts